Meet Mackay Gary Bowen born March 1, 2012 at 5:03pm 8lbs 12oz 21 1/2 inches long. Here is the story of how he arrived:
I went in for a doctors appointment Feb 28th. I was dilated to a 4, not feeling any contractions what so ever, yet very uncomfortable. So we talked about getting induced. The Doctor said we could induce that Thursday, March 1st, and I was thrilled. I waited around Wednesday night waiting to get a phone call from the hospital to tell me what time to come in but they never called so I called them Thursday morning at 6am and they said to come in at 7:30am. So we quickly got ready, called Kyle's mom to come get Easton, and headed to the hospital. Once we got to the hospital we checked in and got started. I was all hooked up with the IV, heart rate monitor for the baby, and ready to get started.
They started me with very very small amounts of pitocin about 9:30am. I came in the hospital already dilated to a 4 and Kyle had class that morning he needed to go to so they did not want to give me a bigger dose of the pitocin so that I did not progress too much before Kyle was able to be there. So Kyle left for class about 9:30 and I hung out in my hospital bed watching tv until he came back. During the time I was waiting for Kyle I was having very mild contractions but they just felt like cramps so no big deal. They weren't even strong enough to dilate me to a 5. Finally about 1:00pm Kyle came back from class and just in time because the doctor showed up at the same time to break my water. Once my water was broke they amped up the pitocen and about 20 mins later my contractions hit strong!! It was time for the epidural, your best friend when having a baby! So I got my epidural and life was so much better. This epidural was much better than when I had Easton. With Easton I wasn't able to feel or move my legs, this time I could still move my legs and actually feel the urge to push. Kyle and I kept asking when they thought I would have the baby and they kept telling us not till that night like at 7 or after. The nurse said usually you only dilate 1cm and hour. Well I did not believe them, from what I could tell with my body I knew this baby was coming sooner then they thought. I was right too. After the pitocin was given in a bigger dose I progressed about 2cm every hour. When I was a 9 I started feeling the sensation that I really needed to go number 2. I was so confused because I wasn't able to feel anything like that with Easton. I told the nurse and she said that meant the baby was ready so she called doc and told me to resist the urge to push. I resisted but it was very uncomfortable so I was happy when the doctor showed up. My contractions were like 2 mins apart or less and lasting a while and I was a 10, so you would think everything was looking good for delivery right? So I got in position for delivery, doctor got in his position to deliver the baby, Kyle on my left side the nurse on my right and....no contraction!! For some random reason my contractions decided they were going to slow down to every 3-5 mins. How awkward was that moment? I will tell you, very awkward. Here I am all exposed out there and everyone else just hanging out as we waited for the contractions to come. The doctor started talking to Kyle to break the silence and thank goodness because I felt so awkward. Finally a contraction came and I started to push. Then we sat and waited there again. Finally a contraction came and I pushed again. After the second contraction Kyle for some reason asked if the doctor was going to have the use forceps. The doctor said he might if I did not get him out with the next contraction. I told him forceps were not happening and that I was going to push that baby out the next contraction. The contraction came, I pushed, and at 5:03 our sweet little Mackay came into the world.
Labor and delivery was awesome, so chill, and just another great experience like with Easton. He was healthy, beautiful, and just perfect. After he was weighed and cleaned off we got to hold him for a little bit but then they had to take him to the nursery because his oxygen levels were a little low so Kyle went with him and stayed until his oxygen levels were good and we could take him again. It took about 2 hours before he was ready to be released from the nursery. Kyle never left his side. I have never seen Kyle more proud then the day each of his boys were born.
We both could not be more happy to have our little Mackay with us. Easton loves him too. East is always asking to hold him, wants to help give him a bath, give him his bink, tells us to get him when he is crying, and telling us how cute "Kay" is. Easton calls him Kay and Kyle and I find ourselves calling him Kay too. I am excited for when Mackay is a little older and they can really interact with one another. I think they will be best friends playing together.

I'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to experience this for myself. I got a little teary-eyed reading this because it is such a precious experience and I'm so looking forward to it! I'm so glad everything went well. David and I want to come visit you guys soon!
ReplyDelete